Friday, October 9, 2009

I should not care this much about this.

"Beeso, you're like our Steve Price."

So said one of my very young teammates after tonights game. For those of you who have no idea who Steve Price is, he is an older rugby league player who keeps getting picked for rep sides where he promptly gets sledged for being too old, too slow, too outdated in a young mans game.

He then goes out and plays all over his opponents, dragging his team down the other end again and again. So I'm not sure if it is the ten year age gap between me and the next oldest player or the fact that I too like to drag us down the other end every set, but I was pretty stoked.

I shouldn't really be getting this excited about touch footy. The level is about the same as QLD cup or the VFL so it's pretty good, it's just the way touch footy makes me feel. Nervous.
Every game.

The last time I played at the good level I left badly. I've always lacked confidence in myself when it comes to physical things, playing music, sport and dancing and the way I left last time destroyed my less than strong ego. I wasn't enjoyed playing anywhere and I hated that. I love playing competitve sport. I love winning and feeling like I've made a difference for my team. But for two years all I could think about when I got on the feild was "what if I do something that loses us the game?"

At the bottom of it I didn't care, I was fat and lazy and was thinking of going and playing darts. Then I got a bit fitter. I started enjoying myself, wanting to win again. By the time this season came round I was keen to give it another shot, just to play hard. I wanted just one game of A grade. The bunch of guys in my team are kids with better attitudes than some of the rep players I've played with. And it shows, tonight we won our final round game which gave us an undefeated record for the regular season. The funny thing is, last week I played A grade, mainly by default, but I was feeling like I'd let the boys down, I paced around while they played, screaming encouragement, running water. When I played my game it wasn't the same, it wasn't my team.

I still get nervous, really nervous before games, but they're good nerves, they pump me up so I can cart that ball forward every set.
Just like Steve Price.


Lantanaland from the iPhone

3 comments:

  1. You sure he didn't just mean it was because you can't fight?

    Seriously though get that on a T-shirt. Over here where Pricey is the nation's favourite Australian (which in NZ is like asking people to pick their favourite venereal disease) that'd be the ultimate compliment for an Australian footballer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve Price is my favourite league player and to be compared to him? Well, I can't think of anything more flattering. Glad that another visit to touch land has been good for you - it might even inspire me to have another crack sometime...
    K-A

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely compliment.

    Well done on your go-team attitude! I rememember always sucking at sport at school. But I won quite a few trophies for Best Team Spirit - because the only good contribution I could really make was whooping, cheering, and singing the team song loudly. ;)

    ReplyDelete